It’s Math Carnival again!
If you want to be a host of these carnivals, contact me at email@example.com, Michael (Carnival of Math), or Denise (MTAP).
Recently, a storm killed about a thousand people and left hundreds of families homeless in Northern Mindanao (southern part of the Philippines). If you want to help, please donate cash/check or via credit card to the GMA Kapuso Foundation. Donations in kind are also accepted.
Please don’t post the answer or solution. You don’t want to spoil the excitement of other readers.
The 15 clues below are from a famous puzzle in the 1950s called “Who Owns the Zebra?” Note that when this puzzle was made, the dangers of smoking were not widely recognized yet.
- There are 5 houses, each of a different color and inhabited by men of different nationalities, with different pets, drinks, and cigarettes .
- The Englishman lives in the red house.
- The Spaniard owns the dog.
- Coffee is drunk in the green house.
- The Ukranian drinks tea.
- The green house is immediately to the right (your right) of the ivory house.
- The Old Gold (cigarette brand) smoker owns snails.
- Kools (cigarette brand) are smoked in the yellow house.
- Milk is drunk in the middle house.
- The Norwegian lives in the first house on the left.
- The man who smokes Chesterfields (cigarette brand) lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
- Kools (cigarette brand) are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
- Lucky Strike (cigarette brand) smoker drinks orange juice.
- The Japanese man smokes Parliaments (cigarette brand) .
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
Questions: Who drinks water? And who owns the Zebra?