THE NUMBER 1
Welcome to the Mathematics and Multimedia Blog Carnival Number 1. Before beginning, let us see what’s so special about 1 as a number.
is a homophone of Juan (dela Cruz), the person who represents the Filipino people. He is just like Uncle Sam of the United States. Hmmm… just a thought, should we change Juan dela Cruz to Manny Pacquiao?
is the multiplicative identity. Any number multiplied by 1 is equal to that number.
is the only number that is not prime nor composite.
is the number in French playing cards intead of Ace. It is the international dialing code for the United States and Canada.
is equal to 1/21 + 1/22 + 1/23 + 1/24 + 1/25 + …
is equal to sin2 (a) + cos2 (a)
is equal to | Fn x Fn+3 – Fn+1 x Fn+2 | (F = Fibonacci numbers)
One is said to be a lonely number. If you are as lonely as the number one, maybe reading the blog submissions below will be of great help. » Read more
Since I am posting a blog carnival on Monday, I will give an overview of the basics about blog carnivals especially to my Filipino readers.
A blog carnival is simply a collection of related blogs summarized, collated, and annotated in a single document by a carnival host. A carnival host is either a blogger, a web designer, or a wiki host.
» Read more
The deadline for submission of articles for the Mathematics and Multimedia blog will be on Friday, July 9, 2010.
The articles with the following emphasis will be given priority:
- connections between and among different topics in mathematics as well connection of mathematics to other fields
- use of mathematics in solving real life problems
- clear, non-bookish conceptual explanations of mathematical concepts, particularly those which are hard to teach and difficult to learn
- integration of technology in teaching mathematics
- introduction of new software and Web 2.0 technologies
- software reviews and tutorials
To submit articles, click here. All articles submitted after the said deadline will be included in the next issue.
Photo: Over the Fair by Lyn Columbe