15 Reasons Why GeoGebra is Successful
Michael Borcherds, lead developer of GeoGebra, asked why GeoGebra is successful in the GeoGebra Forum; I summarized the responses and came up with 15 reasons. Here are the reasons why GeoGebra has been so successful all these years.
- It is FREE.
- It is open source – meaning, it is developed collaboratively by us: programmers, teachers, mathematicians, and users. Not just a few people.
- It runs in multiple operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.).
- It runs in different devices (computers, mobile phones, tablets).
- It promotes mathematical connections (algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, etc.).
- It highlights multiple representations (equations, graphs, tables).
- It is intuitive, user-friendly, and easy to use.
- Its files can be easily uploaded to the web as applets.
- It can be exported to different file formats (png, pdf, eps, etc.).
- It supports Latex typesetting.
- It supports spreadsheet, CAS, and 3D (GeoGebra 5.0).
- It has elegant appearance and dynamic colors.
- It has excellent support community.
- It can be used by elementary school students up to graduate school students.
- It is updated frequently — actually, almost everyday.